Pledge to Protect Our Earth
15,697 signatures toward our 30,000 Goal
Sponsor: The Rainforest Site
Let's work together to take small steps that make a huge impact in preserving our ecosystem. Sign the pledge!
There is no better time than Earth Day 2010 to make the decision to save our planet from environmental destruction. Global warming, massive forest logging, and carbon emissions are all contributing to Earth's demise, and yet the bulk of the devastation is largely powered by humans.
By working together and thinking ahead, we can all take small steps that make a huge impact in preserving our ecosystem. Click 'more info' to find out some simple actions you can take every day to improve the health of our planet, and then sign the petition below letting us know you are willing to do your part to keep Earth clean!
Here are a few easy techniques you can add into your daily routine that will no doubt reduce your own carbon footprint and help the planet become healthier for everyone:
· Plant a tree with a child— Teaching our children to love and care for the planet is the most important thing we can do to endure the future of humankind!
·Transportation— Use alternative transportation whenever possible, especially for your daily commute. Bikes, public transit, and carpools are great ways to commute.
· Reuse and reduce— Reusing packaging material saves more energy than recycling. By avoiding extra packaging, you save both energy and landfill space.
· Paper or plastic? Choose neither. Instead, bring a reusable canvas bag to the grocery store and help reduce usage of paper and plastic bags.
· Compost— Yard and kitchen waste (leaves/grass/vegetable scraps) make up 30% of trash— an amount you can significantly reduce by composting.
· Conserve water— Global temperatures are on the rise, and water is becoming a very precious commodity. Check your home regularly for leaks, and don't let faucets run.
· Buy seafood wisely— Over 75% of the world's fisheries are fully fished or overfished. Help protect the ocean by choosing your seafood sources wisely.
· Buy local— This will help reduce the energy costs of transportation and the excessive use of pesticides.
· Energy consumption— Turn off lights and unplug all appliances when not in use.
· Avoid pesticides— Don't use pesticides or herbicides on your lawn. Along with nitrogen fertilizer runoff, these are major water pollutants.
· Reuse newspaper— Nix paper towels and pair your favorite glass cleaner with newspaper to clean windows. Surprisingly, crumpled newspaper makes windows and mirrors shine.
· Dispose properly— Don't put batteries, old paint, chemicals, antifreeze, motor oil, or chemicals in the trash. Use proper toxic disposal sites.
· Junk mail— Unsubscribe from mailing lists and opt out of direct mail catalogs. Contact your credit card companies and banks to make sure your address is not sold. This will save you lots of annoying calls and junk mail to boot!
If you can pledge to take at least one of these steps every day, you will reduce your carbon footprint immensely. Let's work together to make every day Earth Day!