Pledge to Protect Our Earth
16,265 signatures toward our 50,000 Goal
Sponsor: The Rainforest Site
Let's work together to take small steps that make a huge impact in preserving our ecosystem. Sign the pledge!
Global warming, massive forest logging, and carbon emissions are all contributing to Earth's demise. The bulk of the devastation is largely powered by humans.
There is no better time than Earth Day to make the decision to save our planet from environmental destruction.
By working together and thinking ahead, we can all take small steps that make a huge impact in preserving our ecosystem.
Here are a few easy techniques you can add into your daily routine that will reduce your own carbon footprint and help the planet become healthier for everyone:
- Plant a tree with a child — Teaching our children to love and care for the planet is the most important thing we can do to endure the future of humankind1!
- Transportation — Use alternative transportation whenever possible, especially for your daily commute. Bikes, public transit, and carpools are great ways to commute2.
- Reuse and reduce — Reusing packaging material saves more energy than recycling. By avoiding extra packaging, you save both energy and landfill space3.
- Paper or plastic? — Choose neither. Instead, bring a reusable canvas bag to the grocery store and help reduce usage of paper and plastic bags4.
- Compost — Yard and kitchen waste (leaves/grass/vegetable scraps) make up 30% of trash, an amount you can significantly reduce by composting5.
- Conserve water — Global temperatures are on the rise, and water is becoming a very precious commodity. Check your home regularly for leaks, and don't let faucets run6.
- Buy local — This will help reduce the energy costs of transportation and the excessive use of pesticides7.
- Energy consumption — Turn off lights and unplug all appliances when not in use8.
- Avoid pesticides — Don't use pesticides or herbicides on your lawn. Along with nitrogen fertilizer runoff, these are major water pollutants9.
- Dispose properly — Don't put batteries, old paint, chemicals, antifreeze, motor oil, or chemicals in the trash. Use proper toxic disposal sites10.
If you can pledge to take at least one of these steps every day, you will reduce your carbon footprint immensely. In the meantime, take the Earth Day pledge below so we can work together to make every day Earth Day!
- Amy Baskin, Today's Parent (13 April 2016), "Easy Earth Day activity for kids: plant a tree."
- Commuting Solutions (), "WHAT YOU CAN DO TO CELEBRATE EARTH DAY."
- Auston Downs, EarthDay.org (18 February 2019), "WHAT YOU CAN DO TO REDUCE YOUR OWN WASTE."
- Kaily Cunningham, Recycling Today (22 April 2020), "Earth Day 2020: Taking care of the planet during a pandemic."
- Brenda Platt, Institute for Local Self-Reliance (21 April 2017), "Make Every Day Earth Day Through Composting."
- Water Right Group (14 April 2017), "CELEBRATE EARTH DAY WITH THESE 8 EFFECTIVE WATER SAVING TIPS."
- EarthDay.org, "51 WAYS TO RESTORE OUR EARTH."
- Smart Energy Consumer Collaborative, "FIVE ENERGY-SAVING TIPS FOR EARTH DAY."
- Audubon Chapter of Minneapolis (17 April 2020), "Earth Day Countdown Day 6: Avoid Pesticides and Herbicides."
- Reduction in Motion (10 August 2020), "Earth Day | A Comprehensive Guide to Reducing Waste."
As a resident of Earth, I pledge to do my part in protecting this planet on Earth Day and every day:
- I pledge to reduce, reuse, and recycle whenever and wherever possible.
- I pledge to honor our natural world by planting flowers and trees in my community.
- I pledge to stand with others in advocating for the conservation of our natural resources.