Save Forgotten Pets at the U.S.-Mexico Border from Neglect and Abuse
2,183 signatures toward our 30,000 Goal
Sponsor: The Animal Rescue Site
Thousands of animals have been abandoned at the U.S.-Mexico border — save these animals from neglect and abuse!
By signing our petition, you become a voice for the voiceless, advocating for their safety, well-being, and the right to be with their families.
The U.S.-Mexico border crisis isn't just about humans; it's a heart-wrenching saga of thousands of animals abandoned amidst the chaos of immigration. Dogs and other pets, once family members, are now left to fend for themselves in a hostile environment, facing neglect, abuse, and a grim battle for survival.
The Plight at the Border
Imagine being forced to leave your beloved pet behind in unknown territory. This is the reality for many immigrants apprehended by Customs and Border Protection (CBP), where federal processing centers prohibit animals. The resulting scenario is a surge in pet abandonment, especially in areas like Colony Ridge, Texas. These animals, primarily dogs, are left in appalling conditions, grappling with harsh weather and scarce resources1.
A Cry for Help: Animal Rights Groups to the Rescue
Responding to this crisis, animal welfare groups are stepping up with action and resources, including medical supplies and spay/neuter services, to manage the overpopulation crisis1. However, these efforts are just a drop in the ocean compared to the magnitude of the problem at hand.
Colony Ridge: A Mirror to the Crisis
Colony Ridge, near Houston, stands as a stark example of this issue. With over a thousand neglected animals, the area is a scene of abuse and heartbreaking neglect. Rescuers report animals suffering from intentional harm, including shooting and machete attacks2. This cruelty reflects a deeper societal issue that calls for immediate attention and action.
Economic Hardship and Pet Ownership
The crisis is further exacerbated by economic challenges. The rising costs of living and pet ownership have forced many families to surrender their beloved pets, contributing to the overcrowding of shelters and the rise in abandonment3. These animals, already victims of circumstance, are now casualties of economic distress.
Your Role in This Crisis
This situation at the border is a crisis of both immigration and animal welfare. It demands a response not just from policymakers but from every compassionate individual.
You can play a crucial role in addressing this multifaceted challenge.
Take Action Now!
We urge you to join us in calling for policy changes and immediate action to protect these innocent animals. This isn't just about animals; it's about compassion, humanity, and making a stand for those who can't speak for themselves. Your signature can drive change and help bring an end to this crisis.
Sign the petition now! Let's unite to save these forgotten animals.
- Houston Keene, Fox News (21 January 2024), "GRAPHIC PHOTOS: Animal welfare groups call on Biden admin to address 'thousands' of dogs abandoned by migrants."
- Doree Lewak, The New York Post (18 January 2024), "Texas migrant community Colony Ridge overrun with abandoned & abused dogs — inside the effort to save them."
- Eve Vawter, Yahoo! Life (9 January 2024), "Dogs are Being Abandoned in Droves Because People Can't Afford to Feed Them."
To the United States Federal Government, Department of Homeland Security, Department of Agriculture, United States Customs and Border Protection, and the Congressional Committees on Homeland Security, Agriculture, and Immigration:
We, the undersigned, are deeply concerned citizens advocating for the welfare of countless animals abandoned at the U.S.-Mexico border. This situation has escalated into a humanitarian and animal welfare crisis, requiring immediate intervention.
Every year, thousands of pets, predominantly dogs, are left behind in the chaos of migration at the U.S.-Mexico border. These animals, once family pets of immigrants, are often abandoned due to policies prohibiting their entry into federal processing centers. Left to fend for themselves, they face starvation, abuse, and severe neglect.
- Policy Revision: We urge a review and modification of current immigration policies to allow for the safe passage and sheltering of pets during the immigration process.
- Establishment of Animal Care Units: We propose the establishment of dedicated animal care units at major border crossings to provide immediate care and shelter for abandoned pets.
- Partnerships with Animal Welfare Organizations: We recommend forming partnerships with local and national animal welfare organizations for the rescue, medical treatment, and rehabilitation of these animals.
- Funding and Resources: We call for the allocation of federal funds to support the rescue operations, medical care, and sheltering of these abandoned animals.
- Public Awareness Campaigns: We suggest launching awareness campaigns to educate the public and migrants about the plight of these animals and available resources.
- Legislative Action: We request the introduction of legislative measures to address and provide long-term solutions for the welfare of animals in border areas.
The abandonment and mistreatment of animals at the U.S.-Mexico border is not just an animal welfare issue but a reflection of the humanitarian crises at our borders. By addressing this issue, we uphold the values of compassion and responsibility. We urge the United States Federal Government and relevant departments to take swift action to mitigate this crisis.