South African Raku Animal Figurine
Bring the safari to you with these spectacular ceramic African wildlife art pieces. Abstract and colorful, they represent a small sampling of South Africa's native animals, captured with Raku glazing techniques. The vibrancy and unique quality of these sculptures bring the essence of African life into your home, making you feel as though you have traveled the world without ever leaving your living room!
Each piece was created by a South African artisan named Lorraine Marinkowitz, inspired by the natural beauty of the wildlife in South Africa, and the colors and geometric shapes used by the Ndebele tribe to decorate their homes. Since the manufacturing process only allowed the use of earth-tones, Lorraine developed a special technique to achieve the bright colors and geometric shapes present on her work.
- Hare: In many cultures, the hare is thought to be good luck, and shouting the word on the first day of the month is said to bring a family good luck.
- Ladybug: A symbol of luck and love, it's said that the number of spots on a ladybug are the number of months that will pass before a wish for love will come true.
- Leopard: Leopards are featured in art, mythology, and folklore wherever they are found.
- Penguin: An animal loved worldwide for their apparent lack of fear of man and playful personalities.
- Handmade ceramic with style glaze
- Pieces range from 2.5" to 4.5" T (6.4 to 11.4 cm) and 2" to 5" L (5.1 to 12.7 cm)
- Handmade in and fairly traded from South Africa
For bulk pricing on these and other items, please contact our Customer Service department at firstname.lastname@example.org.
People buying this item also bought:
Your donation will be matched dollar for dollar!
One of our favorites!
September 1, 2012 - If you love raku, then you'll love these darling little figurines! I have a thing for penguins so I got that one first. He looks so cute sitting on my mantel with my black and white raku pottery that I had to order the ladybug and the hare, too. I haven't yet decided on the perfect spot for my blue ladybug, but I know I'll find it! And the hare will be a Christmas gift.
One of our favorites!